John 14:15: If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.
The Holy Spirit is in me for me, and He is with me for others. We are missing out on the gifts and blessings of the Spirit so often when we are asking solely to see miracles for ourselves; let the aim, instead, be seeing the needs of those around us and expecting for the Spirit to move through us. So often, we put up a wall – let’s climb over it! – and stop looking for God to move for our own personal experiences rather than the benefit and salvation of others.
- Discover Theology
- John 7:38: Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’
- You are a Christian if you have heard and believe (can I get an Amen?) and if you are a Christian, you have been sealed with the Holy Spirit. You have a small deposit of Heaven living inside of you, a taste of what’s to come. It’s a belief – and a fact – that we have God within us; what it’s not is a feeling.
- We need to apply what we know to be True without making our feelings True.
- “It is quite right that you should feel that ‘something terrific’ has happened to you…accept these sensations with thankfulness as birthday cards from God, but remember that they are only greetings, not the real gift. I mean that it is not the sensations that are the real thing. The real thing is the gift of the Holy Spirit which can’t usually be—perhaps not ever—experienced as a sensation or emotion. The sensations are merely the response of your nervous system. Don’t depend on them. Otherwise when they go and you are once more emotionally flat (as youcertainly will be quite soon), you might think that the real thing had gone too. But it won’t. It will be there when you can’t feel it. May even be most operative when you can feel it least.” – C.S. Lewis
- Discover Expectancy
- Ephesians 3:14-16: For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being…
- Expect to be strengthened by the power of God. There is power available to you to be free, to have hope, to be comforted. Do you expect these things?
- Discover that God grieves
- Ephesians 4:30-32: And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.\
- We have the capacity to both delight and to grieve the God of Heaven and Earth.
- Grace doesn’t redefine, diminish, or approve of sin. What is does is redeem the sinner.
- Discover Hunger
- Ephesians 5:18: And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit…
- We fill this hunger with so many cheap substitutes (and even good things, too!). But, in order to be filled with the Holy Spirit, we have to make room for Him.
There are realities to discover about the Spirit that is in you and with you. Are you willing to make space to allow Him to move?
Biblical references: John 7:38; Ephesians 3:14-16; Ephesians 4:30-32; Ephesians 5:18