This week, we continue to look to the Bible to assure us of our identity in Jesus as we move into a new (and exciting!) season as the owner of a building. We are a church because we are a people, not because we have a building. Unfortunately today, saying something is true because the Bible says it’s true carries less and less weight, culturally. But we are a people that hold firm to the Bible – it is the command of God for us – both in victory and in brokenness, triumph and defeat.
The Bible answers humanity’s deepest cravings; it goes deeper than reasoning. It is the bridge between our heads and our hearts. It is always relevant, always profound, and it was written for each and every one of us. It is a guide for every terrain in this life, no matter how challenging. We believe in the Bible.
As a church, we hold fast to 3 beliefs about the Word:
- The Bible is uniquely inspired
- 2 Peter 1:20-21: knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation. For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
- It is historically accurate. It is historically sound, more so than any other ancient text that exists.
- 2 Peter 1:16: For we did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
- The Bible contains eyewitness accounts, prophecies that have been historically fulfilled.
- Across stories, continents, languages, and time, it is unified and unifying.
- The Bible is authoritative
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17: All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
- The Bible was written for you. It is dedicated to you!
- It is best for us to align ourselves with the authority of the Bible.
- Hebrews 4:12-13: For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.
- The purpose of the Bible is Jesus
- John 5:39-40: You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.
- The Bible is communicated to us by the person of Jesus. He is the Word made flesh.
Read it and apply it. Let us be a people that hold firmly to the Word, believing in it whole-heartedly and declaring it as True.
Biblical references: 2 Peter 1:20-21, 2 Peter 1:16, 2 Timothy 3:16-17, Hebrews 4:12-13,John 5:39-40
- How can you this week dive deeper in the bible to receive the truth about who God says you are and who He is? Memorizing scripture verses, reading through the entire bible or just a book, spending 10 minutes a day reading the words of Jesus, etc?
- The bible was written and dedicated to you! What lies or pit falls get in the way of turning to scripture as a source of life and refreshment?
- What areas of your life need to be realigned to believe in the authority of the bible?